Monday, June 20, 2011

And so I Begin....

When I was a kid, my mom would pay my sister and me a dollar to read and verbally summarize a story from the front page of our local newspaper. It was her attempt at trying to get us to read about the world, when all we wanted to do was play Nintendo until our thumbs cramped up. The bribe didn't work, even though this was when a dollar was worth more than four chicken McNuggets. Eventually, my parents discontinued the subscription to our paper and we acquired Mario Bros. 2 and 3. Fast forward to 2011, I'm now working for a financial newswire service, being paid a bit more than just a buck, to pick out the top news of the day. I think this is what people call irony.

I do read a bit more news now, not that much more since there's also Facebook and gchat to contend with, but just enough to keep afloat on current events and avoid total embarrassment. The purpose for this blog is to explain the world of finance to my mother. However, in truth, this is an excuse to prove to myself that I actually know a thing or two about bailouts and bonds. I'll post a couple paragraphs oversimplifying the major financial news of the day. If my mom gets it, than I've got it!!!

Only disclaimer is that my explanations may not be worth the 99 cents. I'll try to provide links, so that you can fill in the gaps. Enjoy, because I'm going to have some fun with this, writing about finance on my own terms.


No comments:

Post a Comment