Friday, July 15, 2011

Budgets

Haven't written for awhile. I've been preoccupied with finding a home for myself for next month. Yes, it's time for what was, until now, an annual migration. I've been at my current apartment for more than a year, a landmark event. Now, I have two weeks left to find an apartment. This week, that search hit a low after my roommate broke up with me. Rating agencies would definitely downgrade my ability to find a decent 1 br on my budget.

Talking about downgrades. S&P is warning of downgrading U.S. debt this month, not waiting until Aug 2, the deadline on increasing the debt ceiling cap. It's like the ratings agency is scolding the children up in the white house to stop bickering and start learning how to share. They need to come a decision on debt ceiling, and make a move towards a balanced budget.

If, I could only think like our government, I'd be living the baller life in some amazing Brooklyn apartment without a worry and paying my rent with my AmEx card.

Also, this week is the start of earnings season. This is when, for the next weeks, publicly trading companies such as GM and Apple, will send out quarterly reports on how much money they made, or didnt make. At my job, which shall remain nameless, we're told to only work on stories regarding the really big companies. The standard is sorta vague, based on how well-known the company is, to how much revenue. When I first started at this job, a few years ago, if the revenue was in the $100 millions, that was considered big enough. Today we're talking about billions. Not just one billion, that kinda small, but several billion. Citigroup, the biggest earnings story of the morning reported increased profits of a little over $3 billion, with revenue, which slipped, of around $16 billion.

That's all I have kids, back to craigslist.

No comments:

Post a Comment